WASHINGTON — Hillary Clinton’s campaign will soon release more details about her health, a spokesman said Monday.
The new disclosures follow Clinton’s abrupt departure Sunday from a Sept. 11 memorial service. Clinton’s doctor said the Democratic nominee had become overheated and dehydrated at the service after being put on medication a few days earlier for pneumonia.
Brian Fallon, the campaign spokesman, told MSNBC that Clinton had “no other undisclosed condition.” Although Clinton canceled a trip to California this week to recuperate, she should be back on the campaign trail later this week, he said.
Clinton, 68, has so far released only a physician’s letter about her health — about the same amount of detail as letters issued by President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney in 2008 and 2012. Clinton’s doctor concluded she was “in excellent physical condition.”
Clinton’s letter included more detail than the one released by Donald Trump’s doctor, which alleged he would be the healthiest person ever elected president. Trump is 70 years old. The Republican candidate will release the results of his most recent physical and discuss his “personal health regimen” on Thursday’s episode of “The Dr. Oz Show.”
“Both candidates have been economical with the truth of their health,” said Robert Robins, professor emeritus of political science at Tulane University, who has studied presidential health. “Past experience with A-list leaders shows that serious and continuing health difficulties, except when unavoidably public, come to light only after they have left office and especially after their death.”
Hours after Clinton fell ill on Sunday, her campaign said she had actually been diagnosed with pneumonia on Friday.
On Monday, Clinton’s communications director acknowledged on Twitter that the campaign “could could have done better.”
But “it is a fact,” Jennifer Palmieri added, “that public knows more about HRC than any nominee in history.”