Skip to Main Content

SAN DIEGO — In a rare move, the U.S. government has approved the importation of marijuana extracts from Canada for a clinical trial, highlighting a new avenue for American researchers who have long had trouble obtaining the drug for medical studies.

The University of California, San Diego’s Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research announced Tuesday the Drug Enforcement Administration has OK’d its plans to import capsules containing two key cannabis compounds — CBD and THC — from British Columbia-based Tilray Inc. to study their effectiveness in treating tremors that afflict millions of people, especially those over 65.


Marijuana remains illegal under federal law, and researchers aren’t allowed to simply obtain it through providers licensed under state law. The U.S. has a program for supplying it for research through the National Institute on Drug Abuse, with cannabis grown by the University of Mississippi, but scientists have long complained about the difficulty of obtaining it, as well as the quality and limited variety of the pot available.

Unlock this article by subscribing to STAT+ and enjoy your first 30 days free!

  • I am a retired college professor, 79 years old with serious familial essential tremors. The problem is increasing rapidly to the point where I can no longer write, prepare food for myself, eat properly without embarrassment, do any crafts, type, do many household chores, and on and on. I would very much like to be involved in a clinical trial using CBD. Other medicines tried have not helped. Other than my tremors, I am in very good health and am willing to travel to where ever necessary.

  • My mother in law has had Essential tremors most of her life some days it’s so bad she can’t get out of bed she takes Ativan daily just to function
    I told her about this new drug and she immediately wanted to how she could sign up for the trails
    Could you please tell me how she can sign up
    Thank you,
    David Smith

Comments are closed.