STAT’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee is composed of staff members across the company. Here is our mission statement:
The mission of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee at STAT is to make STAT better reflect the world that we live in by:
- Diversifying our sourcing for news stories, with a focus on historically underrepresented populations.
- Amplifying more diverse voices — especially those of women and people of color — with speaking opportunities at events.
- Creating a more inclusive work environment where everyone feels:
- They are heard and belong.
- Valued as their authentic selves.
- Free to speak up without judgement.
- Supporting STAT’s goal to further diversify and broaden our audience and event attendees.
- Diversifying the STAT team, with the goal of having our workforce and management reflect the diversity of U.S. society more broadly.
- Diversifying the sorts of stories we’re telling, to more deeply cover issues of racism, health inequities, and social justice.
The D&I Committee is committed to:
- Regularly re-evaluate the hiring and recruiting processes to ensure that diversity, equity, and inclusion are held as top priorities in all decisions.
- Ensuring that the concerns and opinions of all staff will be valued and that STAT leadership will be receptive to that feedback.
- Keeping the staff regularly informed of its work, through publicly sharing meeting notes and details of any initiatives.