In November 2015, STAT was launched as a new national media brand focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source for tough-minded coverage of the business of making medicines, health tech, science, and public health. We produce daily news, investigative articles, and narrative projects in addition to multimedia features, podcasts, and opinion pieces. Our team of editors and reporters has won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
As our newsroom grows rapidly, STAT is looking for a seasoned and versatile editor who can organize and direct daily news coverage across the country. This editor would be the point person on our news desk, working across the newsroom, to keep on top of breaking events and making sure our site maintains its news urgency. This editor would also oversee a group of reporters, maintain and build out our freelance network, and jump in from time to time to edit reporters on other teams.
STAT prides itself on a collaborative spirit, flexibility, and a willingness to innovate, and we are looking for these skills in an editor. Also essential: fidelity to bedrock journalistic values and a commitment to excellence.
What You’ll Do
- Organize and direct STAT’s coverage of breaking news. Work across the newsroom to make sure that there is urgency in our coverage, and that we are not writing commodity stories but ones with added value and fresh angles.
- Oversee reporters as well as work with freelancers as we expand our coverage into areas including environmental health and the health implications of the Supreme Court’s Dobbs decision. This editor would be responsible for growing and diversifying our freelance network.
- Coordinate with our senior production editor and engagement editor to make sure quick-turn stories are spread through alerts, social media, and our newsletters
- Coordinate with the photo and multimedia team on breaking news coverage and look for opportunities for quick-turn videos and explanatory graphics.
- Work with our head of marketing as well as our public relations team to make sure our stories are drawing attention and a wide audience.
- Edit at least one daily newsletter, and work with newsletter editors and writers to make sure they are as topical as possible, and preview stories and developments that are unfolding in real time.
What You Bring
- At least five years experience in daily journalism, with a background in editing and/or reporting health and business stories.
- An ability to make sure our coverage is accessible and provocative as well as authoritative.
- A demonstrated ability to move beyond commodity news stories, press for fresh and provocative angles, and embrace multimedia and all forms of digital storytelling.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and passion for collaboration with reporters and editing colleagues and willingness to experiment and be game to dip in on many roles to help bring STAT to even greater levels of success.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience-focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment.
We know that there are strong candidates who may not fit precisely into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
The minimum salary for this position is $85,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, parental leave, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
This editor would ideally be based in our Boston HQ, but it is not a requirement. The STAT office is located in downtown Boston, near Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. We have colleagues in the organization that come into the office on a regular basis and colleagues that are based in various cities throughout the U.S.
How to Apply
Send resume, cover letter, and up to five clips that showcase your editing and/or reporting skills to the BGMP Opportunities page . Please append a brief description to each clip explaining your role in reporting or editing the story. In your resume and/or cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc.).
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee’s designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.