STAT, the leading health and science site, is looking for a biopharma enterprise reporter. This reporter would sidestep coverage of readouts and company announcements in favor of enterprise that chronicles the ups and downs of the industry writ-large. We’re looking for research-driven analysis of the industry, along with trend stories and profiles of companies and executives leaving their mark. This reporter should also be prepared to cover the startup landscape as well as the VCs that power the industry. The goal is to avoid press release coverage or commodity journalism, favoring only-in-STAT stories on major trends — and influencers — in the industry.
- Tell smart, compelling stories about the biotech and pharma industries, while illuminating industry-wide trends and identifying startups, VCs and other players gaining attention.
- Work with our data editor to produce visualizations that tell the story of biopharma today.
- Be a key player on a top-notch team producing deep and vital reporting of the biopharma industry.
- Contribute to our Readout newsletter. Play a role in helping organize and moderate STAT events related to biopharma.
- A versatile writer prepared to dive in on a wide range of stories, particularly enterprise.
- A self-starter when it comes to stories, but also collaborative in nature. STAT thrives on a tight-knit, all-hands-on-deck culture and a strong team dynamic.
- Committed to excellence in your reporting.
- At least five years experience covering biopharma.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The minimum salary for this position is $75,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
While the location of this position is flexible, occasional travel is likely once the pandemic subsides. That would include trips to STAT’s headquarters in Boston and travel to other cities for reporting purposes.
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism.
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment.
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter, and links to up to five clips that showcase your reporting attached to your resume or following your cover letter here.