In November 2015, STAT was launched as a new national media brand focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source in the industry and our all-star team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. The STAT brand includes a website (www.statnews.com), mobile app, numerous newsletters, live events and virtual events, and other products. STAT is based in Boston and is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
The business of STAT is currently driven by advertising, paid subscriptions, and events. We are seeking a motivated, creative individual to help grow the advertising side of the business by spearheading the growth of STAT Brand Studio – STAT’s branded content arm.
This is an ideal role for someone looking to take learnings from their past professional experiences to create a brand new, highly creative and exciting role (and potentially, in the future, team) at a growing, thriving media company. Combining the savvy of a marketer with the editorial style and voice of a journalist, this candidate will lead all efforts to develop and produce fresh ideas for smart, innovative content and experiences that will resonate with STAT audiences and help our advertising and sponsorship partners achieve their messaging objectives.
The Branded Content Editor will report to the Executive Director of Marketing & Sponsorships and work closely with the marketing solutions, sales, design, product, multimedia, ad operations, editorial, and events teams.
What You’ll Do
- Conceptualize and execute custom, cross-platform marketing programs for STAT’s clients. You will be active and manage every part of the branded content process, from pitching concepts to creative oversight to delivering final assets. Example programs/content pieces include: Articles, white papers, infographics, videos, microsites, events, podcasts, and more.
- Lead brainstorming calls with sales, marketing solutions, and client and/or agency stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the sales and marketing solutions teams to pitch custom branded content & thought leadership-focused ideas and programs in response to client RFPs; Formally present (in-person and over Zoom) those ideas to clients and stakeholders
- Adhere to and reinforce STAT’s editorial style, sponsor guidelines, and quality standards – creating and maintaining a trusted relationship with editorial, sales, marketing solutions, product, design, and events
- Create and foster relationships with vendors, freelancers, and key partners to leverage for custom client programs; Onboard these partners/vendors and negotiate rates and contracts
- Determine the feasibility, scope, and budgets of creative concepts
- Build and maintain detailed project timelines
- Forecast, track, and reconcile all production-related expenses
- Proactively communicate status updates to clients and stakeholders
- Forecast, track, and reconcile all production-related expenses
- Serve as a mentor to junior-level talent
- Streamline operational processes and implement best practices
Who You Are
- An ambitious communicator with 8+ years of experience coming up with and executing branded content and thought leadership-focused campaigns, whether that be at an agency, production company, publishing company, or similar environment.
- Creative! Our new team member should bring their best and out-of-the-box ideas to the table and is excited to run with them.
- An excellent writer and editor. Experience communicating with high level individuals is key.
- Someone with robust marketing/content experience within the life sciences and/or healthcare industries
- A driven self-starter with a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude. You thrive in start-up environments fueled by creativity and innovation.
- A multi-tasker with experience managing projects from inception to completion. You are organized and have a keen attention to detail in doing so. You can also roll with the punches if unexpected hiccups come your way.
- A positive problem solver who works well both independently and with a team, with a track record of performing well in high-pressure situations.
- A relationship builder. You are great at developing and nurturing relationships with colleagues, clients, and partners.
- Someone who maintains a thorough knowledge of and curiosity for branded content industry trends, innovations, and competitors.
- Willing to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
- Have experience moderating events & executing live interviews. This role may require interviewing clients on stage at STAT events.
- Have experience producing and/or hosting podcasts.
Have developed a diverse network of trusted production collaborators.
- Are familiar with how a publishing company works.
We know that there are strong candidates who may not fit precisely into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
The minimum salary for this position is $90,000 We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, parental leave, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
The STAT office is located in downtown Boston, nearby Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. We have colleagues in the organization that come into the office on a regular basis and colleagues that are based in various cities throughout the US. For this role, we will consider candidates who are based anywhere in the United States.
How to Apply
Interested in this job? If so, we’d love to hear from you. Please submit a cover letter and resume to the BGMP Opportunities job posting.
In your resume and/or cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc.).
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism.
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee’s designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.