In November 2015, STAT was launched as a new national media brand focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Over the past six years, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source and our all-star team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. The STAT brand includes a website (www.statnews.com), mobile app, numerous newsletters, live events and virtual events, and other products. STAT is based in Boston and is part of Boston Globe Media.
STAT’s business team is growing and we’re seeking a dynamic, creative, and collaborative Creative Marketing Designer to lead the production of brand, advertising, and product marketing assets for on and off platform discovery and growth. Co-reporting to the Director of Marketing, Consumer Revenue and the Executive Director of Marketing & Sponsorships, this newly minted position will act as a bridge between marketing and advertising and will help to shape and craft STAT’s go-to-market strategy across numerous products, offerings, events, and business lines through best-in-class, high performing creative on and off platform. This individual should have experience designing creative for many mediums including landing page image optimization, paid and organic social media and display advertising, on-site advertising, email template optimization, business slides and decks, event signage, and collateral/swag. This is a great opportunity for an organized, thoughtful, and solutions oriented individual to originate the Marketing Design.
- Build an ongoing suite of creative assets for marketing STAT’s subscription STAT+, events business, ebooks, reports, Community, and newsletters.
- Develop creative for further evolving our paid advertising campaigns, working with the marketing team to test and optimize across a portfolio of platforms (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, SEM, Display) with the goal of increasing brand recognition, engagement, and conversions.
- Reshape existing email templates to improve email marketing campaigns and strengthen STAT’s audience engagement with our newsletters and marketing programs.
- Assist in testing and optimizing landing page assets for improved conversions across events, advertising, Community, and subscription businesses.
- Manage a testing calendar and partner cross-functionally to understand the impact that your design work has on key business metrics and proactively apply those learnings to future creative assets you develop
- Adhere to brand guidelines and style guide, ensuring that all visual materials are on-brand and of the highest quality
- Develop and/or license motion graphics including developing short videos and gifs. Sourcing images for many products.
- Develop suite of display ads for statnews.com and clients
- Evolve the design of, as well as produce and maintain presentation deck templates, sell sheets, and rate cards, allowing for STAT’s client presentations and marketing collateral to showcase our impressive suite of product offerings and competitive edge.
- Work closely with the head of STAT Brand Studio – STAT’s branded content arm – to create and source imagery for custom content, produced for STAT’s advertising clients.
- Consult on and help with the creation of new advertising product designs.
- Work closely with STAT’s Web Design and Product teams to understand STAT’s editorial style, in turn ensuring that anything created for a STAT client or for the Marketing team(s) adheres to it.
- Develop visual elements for client wrap reports, allowing for advertising and sponsorship clients to understand at-a-glance the impact their sponsorship had on our event audience.
- Create and maintain event slides and social assets used by speakers, hosts, and sponsors throughout STAT’s events.
- Work closely with the Engagement Editor to develop, evolve, and test a suite of social assets and motion graphics for increased engagement on social media.
- Design the event program book and all signage for STAT’s in-person events.
- Provide graphic design and edits within STAT’s virtual events platform.
- Design mockups and assets for STAT’s branded giveaways and swag.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Two to four years in creative design in media, advertising, or marketing for a for-profit brand.
- Understanding of digital advertising, performance advertising, lead generation landscapes.
- Ability to develop and communicate complex ideas and copy into digestible assets and designs. Ability to communicate creative thinking to colleagues.
- Ability to receive and incorporate constructive feedback.
- Experience working across teams, including product, marketing, sponsorships, sales, events, and editorial.
- Preferred experience in working within Hubspot, Mailchimp, WordPress, or similar ESPs and CMS systems.
- A portfolio demonstrating a command of typography, composition, and use of imagery.
- Expertise in the Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign), Keynote, Google Slides, and PowerPoint.
- Experience creating basic animations and editing digital video.
- An appreciation for design’s role in pursuing designated commercial and revenue goals and objectives.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple short and long-term projects simultaneously, communicating deliverable timelines across teams.
- Highly self-motivated and effective time management skills.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience-focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment.
STAT offers a competitive total compensation package and a generous array of benefits and employee perks.
How to Apply
Candidates can apply on the Boston Globe Media careers page with a resume and cover letter.
EEO Statement: Boston Globe Media Partners LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship, or any other protected characteristic.
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism.