In November 2015, STAT was launched as a new national media brand focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source in the industry and our all-star team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. The STAT brand includes a website, mobile app, numerous newsletters, live and virtual events, and other products. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
STAT, the leading health and medicine publication, is looking for a reporter to cover the business of tech in health care, a rapidly evolving area of attracting billions of dollars of investment from the world’s biggest tech companies and health care systems. You should be keen to delve into business practices of the most prominent players in the field, reveal how health data is being mined, surveilled, and sold, and investigate issues with emerging technologies.
- Investigate the business strategies of tech giants, health care titans and hospital systems, and the startups trying to upend the space. Dig into dealmaking and the financial prospects of companies at the forefront of health technology.
- Tell smart, compelling stories on emerging technologies in health care and the thorny questions they raise, including those surrounding ethics and bias.
- Be a key player on a top-notch team producing deep and vital reporting of the health tech industry.
- Contribute to our STAT Health Tech newsletter. Play a role in helping organize and moderate STAT events related to health tech.
- A versatile writer with experience in investigative or business reporting.
- Prepared to dive in on a wide range of stories — not only breaking news, but also hard-hitting investigations, insightful features, and ambitious profiles that can only be found in STAT.
- A self-starter when it comes to jumping into stories, but also collaborative in nature and interested in working with other members of STAT’s health tech team, along with reporters focused on policy, hospitals, and business.
- Committed to journalistic excellence.
- We encourage candidates with a range of reporting backgrounds to apply – above all else, we’re looking for a sharp, dogged reporter with a track record of diving deep and breaking news.
- A demonstrated interest in – or experience covering – health, science, or technology is a bonus.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The minimum salary for this position is $80,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
This position can be based in our Boston headquarters or remotely. While the location of this position is flexible, occasional travel is likely once the pandemic subsides. That would include trips to STAT’s headquarters in Boston and travel to other cities for reporting purposes.
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism.
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment.
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter, and links to up to five clips that showcase your reporting attached to your resume or following your cover letter here.