In November 2015, STAT was launched as a global media brand focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source in the industry and our all-star team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. The STAT brand includes a website (www.statnews.com), mobile app, numerous newsletters, live events and virtual events, and other products. STAT is based in Boston and is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
This role will report to the Head of Product, but will expand the foundation for data literacy and data-driven decision making across the organization. Through the lens of growth and optimization, the role will help develop strategies for editorial, help accelerate product development, as well as optimize our business practices across all business units. This will be done using a myriad of data sources and in close partnerships across teams including editorial, social, subscriptions, and advertising.
What You’ll Do
- Develop impactful and insight-driven analyses and reports. Develop standards, define KPIs and ensure high-quality output. Create end-to-end views of the business that enable a deeper understanding of customer experience and business performance.
- Collaborating with social and editorial team in efforts to maximize subscriber engagement and traffic
- Work on large-scale clickstream, Google Ad Manager, subscriber, email and other large datasets to generate insights for your stakeholders and optimize revenue opportunities. Track business performance across our various products and solutions.
- Define and analyze metrics that inform the success of products and set up dashboards to monitor the health of product adoption while also identifying areas of improvement and/or holes in our analytics & reporting
- Working with the Head of Product and stakeholders, develop and oversee projects to identify opportunities most important for growth, remove barriers/friction for product adoption, retention, engagement, and/or monetization via primary or secondary data sources
- Conceive, implement and analyze the results of tests to support product strategy development
- Develop an understanding of STAT’s products and technical stack to meet the company’s current and future needs
- Identify data process and data governance improvements
- Coach and mentor junior data analysts to upgrade team skills, provide training and develop standard processes and methods.
Who You Are
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Business Analytics, or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in data analysis, preferably in media analytics at a data-driven company.
- Experience in data analytics with proficient SQL or other data query language skills a plus – as well as intelligence tools such as Tableau, PowerBI, or similar
- Extensive experience with Adobe Analytics or similar application
- Experience with HubSpot or similar application is a plus
- Strong sense of initiative and ability to drive projects run by multi-functional teams to completion.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Able to find insights and trends from data accurately with attention to details, document, communicate, and present in a concise manner.
- Understand the business implication of metrics based on web/app user experience event data
- Can stay organized and meet deadlines on multiple projects at once
- Self-directed and capable of working in a fast-paced environment
- Has a willingness to adapt, be audience focused with a curious mindset and committed to creating an inclusive work environment
Bonus points for:
- Strong knowledge of CRMs, Customer Data Platforms, integration apps, email marketing, and marketing automation tools
- Interest in journalism and life science and health news
The minimum salary for this position is $80,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, parental leave, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
While we’d prefer you to be based in Boston, we also are considering remote candidates who would be willing to spend time at HQ once Covid recedes.
The STAT office is located in downtown Boston, nearby Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. We have colleagues in the organization that come into the office on a regular basis and colleagues that are based in various cities throughout the US. For this role, we will consider candidates who are based anywhere in the United States.
How to Apply
Interested in this job? If so, we’d love to hear from you. Please submit a cover letter and resume to the BGMP Opportunities page.
In your resume and/or cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc.).
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism
Vaccination Statement: We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee’s designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
EEO Statement: Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.