In November 2015, STAT was launched as a new national media brand focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source in the industry and our all-star team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. The STAT brand includes a website (www.statnews.com), mobile app, numerous newsletters, live events and virtual events, and other products. STAT is based in Boston and is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
As our newsroom continues to grow, STAT is looking for an experienced editor to establish and own an expert SEO strategy. This editor would have eyes on all STAT stories, ensuring the sharpest headlines for search. This editor will also review stories in our archives to consider refining past display copy. Lastly, this editor will also help optimize for search all of STAT’s various initiatives.
STAT prides itself on a collaborative spirit, flexibility, and a willingness to innovate, and we are looking for these skills in an editor. Also essential: fidelity to bedrock journalistic values and a commitment to excellence.
What You’ll Do
- Make sure articles and landing pages have the best possible headlines and are optimized for search
- Work with editors prior to publication of major projects to apply search trends and keyword guidance
- Help determine what new curated collections and tags we need to better highlight our editorial coverage on the homepage, article pages, event pages, and social platforms
- Actively look for opportunities to add effective calls to action (related stories, newsletter signups, event promotion, etc.) in our stories
- Provide SEO support to the STAT newsroom, including guidance on strategy for on- and off-page optimizations and recommendations, and training new employees on SEO best practices
- Monitor site-wide daily performance metrics and use SEO tools and techniques to optimize site traffic, improve user experience, and increase conversions
- Work closely with the product team, providing audits and shepherding requests for improving mobile usability, backlinks, page speed, redirects
- Optimize other landing pages, including STAT’s events pages, reports, e-books, and other ancillary product pages
- Using Brightedge, optimize high-performing stories (current and evergreen) for continued ranking while simultaneously improving non-performing stories and pages for ranking, with a focus on increasing conversions and revenue from those key pages
- Perform keyword research to identify content gaps, emerging trends, and new opportunities in the life sciences landscape
- Develop and refine performance dashboards, SERP monitoring solutions, and processes for consistent audits. Report daily, weekly and monthly business performance, progress toward key growth initiatives, and analyze data to help inform strategies
- Manage relationships and partnerships with major search platforms (Google, Microsoft, DuckDuckGo, CrowdTangle, Brightedge)
- Foster partnership and collaboration with other Boston Globe Media Group SEO experts
Who You Are
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in an SEO-specific role, with an in-depth understanding of Moz, SEMrush, and other search optimization tools. Preferred experience using Conductor and/or Brightedge
- A desire for getting incredible stories in the hands of incredible readers
- Experience writing strong SEO headlines and well-versed in SEO best practices
- Knowledge with Google Analytics and Adobe Analytics (Omniture)
- Willing to adapt and be audience-focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
We know that there are strong candidates who may not fit precisely into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
The minimum salary for this position is $70,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, parental leave, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full-time employees. Parental leave is also offered.
The STAT office is located in downtown Boston, nearby Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. We have colleagues in the organization that come into the office on a regular basis and colleagues that are based in various cities throughout the US. For this role, we will consider candidates who are based anywhere in the United States.
How to Apply
Interested in this job? If so, we’d love to hear from you. Please submit a cover letter and resume to the BGMP Opportunities job posting.
In your resume and/or cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc.).
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism.
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee’s designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.