In November 2015, STAT was launched as a media company focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source in the industry, and our first-rate team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named a George Polk award winner in 2021 and 2022, and a 2021 Pulitzer Prize finalist. The STAT brand includes a website, mobile app, numerous newsletters, live and virtual events, and other products. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
STAT is looking for a seasoned and versatile editor who can lead special editorial programs for our rapidly growing newsroom, as well as work with reporters and interns and help direct our editorial recruitment and outreach efforts.
STAT prides itself on a collaborative spirit, flexibility, and a willingness to innovate, and we are looking for these skills in an editor. Also essential: fidelity to bedrock journalistic values and a commitment to excellence.
- Be responsible for expanding and editing STAT’s Reports franchise; we have eight to 10 paid reports a year — deep dives into subjects including biotech, pharma, and life sciences.
- Oversee some reporters and interns, helping them conceive and frame strong enterprise stories on health and life sciences and business, including analyses, profiles, features, and enterprise stories.
- Organize and expand our editorial recruitment and outreach efforts, including working with our diversity and inclusion committee on recruitment at journalism and science conferences.
- Help oversee the editorial piece of our successful annual STAT Madness competition, a bracket-style tournament to find the best innovations in science and medicine, as well as the STATUS List, our annual accounting of the most notable leaders and influencers in the life sciences.
- Curate 6-10 STAT e-books — including a compilation of STAT stories and a letter from the editor — each year.
- At least six years experience in daily journalism, with a background in editing and/or reporting health and business stories.
- An ability to make sure our coverage is accessible and provocative as well as authoritative.
- A demonstrated ability to move beyond commodity news stories, press for fresh and provocative angles, and embrace multimedia and all forms of digital storytelling.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and passion for collaboration with your reporters and editing colleagues and willingness to experiment and be game to dip in on many roles to help bring STAT to even greater levels of success.
- Ideally, this editor would be based at our Boston HQ, but that is not a requirement.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The minimum salary for this position is $85,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, parental leave, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
This editor would ideally be based in our Boston HQ, but it is not a requirement. The STAT office is located in downtown Boston, near Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. We have colleagues in the organization that come into the office on a regular basis and colleagues that are based in various cities throughout the U.S.
Send resume, cover letter, and up to five clips that showcase your editing and/or reporting skills. Please append a brief description to each clip explaining your role in reporting or editing the story. In your resume and/or cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc.).
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
Please apply through Boston Globe Media Partners application