In the pharmaceutical world, price hikes have been the gifts that keep on giving because the hefty cumulative effects of rising price tags greatly help year-over-year revenue growth. But a new analysis suggests the trend will slow considerably as drug makers face political pressure over pricing practices.

To wit, the compounded effect of rising prices contributed, on average, 5 percent in revenue growth annually over the last five years. Although total revenue growth slowed over the past year to around 1 percent, without price increases, the sales growth would have declined by a notable 6 percent, according to Leerink analyst Geoffrey Porges, who analyzed data for 17 large drug makers.

Unlock this article by subscribing to STAT Plus and enjoy your first 30 days free!

GET STARTED

What is it?

STAT Plus is STAT's premium subscription service for in-depth biotech, pharma, policy, and life science coverage and analysis. Our award-winning team covers news on Wall Street, policy developments in Washington, early science breakthroughs and clinical trial results, and health care disruption in Silicon Valley and beyond.

What's included?

  • Daily reporting and analysis
  • The most comprehensive industry coverage from a powerhouse team of reporters
  • Subscriber-only newsletters
  • Daily newsletters to brief you on the most important industry news of the day
  • STAT+ Conversations
  • Weekly opportunities to engage with our reporters and leading industry experts in live video conversations
  • Exclusive industry events
  • Premium access to subscriber-only networking events around the country
  • The best reporters in the industry
  • The most trusted and well-connected newsroom in the health care industry
  • And much more
  • Exclusive interviews with industry leaders, profiles, and premium tools, like our CRISPR Trackr.
  • Further confirmation of how dependent pharma has become on price increases — rather than new-therapy launches and/or market expansion for existing therapies — as their main engine of “sales growth.” I’ve often observed that this is rather like driving an out-of-gas car by repeatedly engaging the starter motor while in gear. For a while, it will create forward (if somewhat lurching) motion, but ultimately it will burn out the motor.

  • Xarelto pharmaceutical needs stopped and recalled due to there bleeding problem And J&j needs to settle out of court settlement agreement for the people’s pain and suffering from severe bleeding due to this medication

  • Ed,
    I wonder when the Feds are gonna address or if they’re gonna address the
    PBM issue. How many more states have to be robbed of millions before they see
    the light ?

Comments are closed.

Sign up to receive a free weekly opinions recap from our community of experts.
Privacy Policy