This policy was last updated on January 10, 2017.
This policy describes the privacy practices of STAT and its affiliates and subsidiaries (in this policy, we will generally refer to us as “STAT,” “our,” or “we”). It explains how we collect, use, and store information about our readers. This policy covers our privacy practices in connection with STAT.
- What information do we gather about you?
- How do we gather that information?
- What do we do with the information we gather?
- With whom do we share the information that we gather?
- How do you change, update, or delete your personal information?
- What else should you know about STAT’s privacy practices?
- Who should you contact if you have questions?
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE GATHER ABOUT YOU?
The information we gather falls into two categories:
Personal information is information that identifies you, such as your name, contact information, and credit card information. We collect this information only when you choose to provide it to us. For example, we collect personal information when you subscribe to STAT Plus or our email newsletters, register an account on our Job Board, complete a survey, or sign in to STAT Plus through a third-party tool such as Facebook, LinkedIN, or Google.
Non-personal information is information that our technology collects in aggregate, without identifying you. Non-personal information includes your Internet connection, the device you use to access our websites, and tracking data relating to your use of our websites.
We gather the following types of information:
Contact & Demographic Information: When you subscribe to STAT Plus, subscribe to our newsletters, register an account on our Job Board, or participate in an optional promotion such as sweepstakes, contests, or special offers, you will need to provide us with personal information such as your name, address, and email. You must also provide some basic demographic information, such as your postal code, birth year, and gender. For registration for promotions, special events, consumer panels, or surveys, we sometimes require information such as your household income, professional industry, and job title.
Billing Information: In order to subscribe to STAT Plus, you must provide your credit card number and other billing information.
Usage Information: We may log certain non-personal information about your use of STAT digital properties. In addition, if you contact STAT, we may log information about the means through which you contacted us and our interaction with you.
Device Information: We may collect non-personal information about the computer, mobile device, or other device you use to access STAT digital properties. This information may include your IP address, basic geolocation information (such as information based on your IP address), unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information.
2. HOW DO WE GATHER INFORMATION?
You voluntarily provide information to us. You may choose to provide us with contact, demographic, billing, or other personal information to subscribe to STAT Plus, for example.
Log Files. As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data.
We allow third parties to gather information. Some of the services and advertisements on STAT properties are operated by third-party companies, including service providers, analytics providers, and marketing partners, which may track certain non-personal information about our website users through cookies, web beacons, or other methods. These third-parties gather this information for the purpose of understanding how users are using our sites, and making improvements to our sites.
- Social media features like the Facebook “share” button are operated by third parties. The third parties operating these features may collect your IP address and information about the page(s) you visit on our sites, and they may set cookies to enable the features to function properly. Actions taken through Facebook, Google+,Twitter, or other third-party services are governed by the privacy policies of the third parties. STAT may receive information about you from Facebook, Google, LinkedIN, or other third parties, if you choose to provide it.
- Some sections of our websites are operated by third parties. For example, if you are searching for a job, you will be redirected to jobs.statnews.com, which is operated in agreement with STAT by a service called Yourmembership.com.
3. WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE INFORMATION WE GATHER?
Our approach to sharing information with third parties. We do not sell, license, rent, or swap your personal information without your permission, except as set out in this policy or as required by law. We do share non-personal information with third parties.
Specific ways in which we use personal information. We use personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide the products and services you request and to communicate with you about those products and services.
- To provide you with updates about major changes to STAT properties or to discuss your account or renew your subscription.
- To email you information about products and services that may be of interest to you. These product and services may be provided by STAT, or our advertisers, partners, or other third parties. You may opt out at any time from any primarily commercial messages and user surveys by following the opt-out instructions in the email.
- To improve our services and personalize your experience with us.
- To disclose your opt-out information to third parties so they can suppress your name from future solicitations.
We will not use your phone number to initiate a call or text message you without your express prior consent.
Specific ways in which we use non-personal information. We use non-personal information for the following purposes:
- To analyze statistical, demographic, and marketing information for product development purposes and to understand usage and traffic trends and improve our relationship with you.
- To inform advertisers about the nature of our reader base and the number of unique visitors that have viewed a particular ad or visited a particular webpage. We may publish summary information regarding our online visitors for promotional purposes and as a representative audience for advertisers.
- To allow advertisers to customize content. This means users see advertising that is most likely to interest them, and advertisers display their messages to people who are most likely to be receptive, improving both the viewer’s experience and the effectiveness of the ads. For example, in the course of serving certain advertisements, some advertisers may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser in order to collect information about your visits to our websites and other websites. This information could be used to show you ads based on your interests on other websites.
- To customize your experience on our digital properties, so that you do not see the same ad repeatedly and to provide you with an enhanced experienced based on the type of device you are using.
- To gauge the effectiveness of our communications and marketing campaigns.
4. WITH WHOM DO WE SHARE THE INFORMATION WE GATHER?
Service Providers. We contract with service providers to help us with credit card and bill processing, shipping, email distribution, list processing, analytics and promotions management, and ad serving. We provide service providers only with the information they need to perform their services. We prohibit them from sharing, reselling, or using our data for their own marketing purposes.
- For example, if you are a STAT Plus subscriber or newsletter reader of STAT, we may share your email address with a service provider that sends emails on our behalf. That service provider may not share your email address or personal information with other companies, and may only send you emails on behalf of STAT.
- Another example is that we may also engage service providers to track and analyze information about readers’ use of our websites. These service providers may only use this information to track the traffic, usability, performance, and effectiveness of our websites, and they may only disclose their findings to STAT.
Advertisers. We share non-personal information with our advertisers. For example, we may share statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of readers and their browsing and purchasing patterns to inform advertisers about the nature of our reader base. We will not share personal information with advertisers without your permission.
Partners. We may buy, sell to, or merge or partner with another company. We may share personal and non-personal information with other companies in the course of such transactions.
Others, as required. We may disclose personal and non-personal information if we have a good-faith belief that disclosure is necessary to comply with the law or with legal process, such as to comply with a subpoena, to protect and defend our rights and property, to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our websites, or to protect the personal safety or property of our users or the public.
- For example, we may release personal information to comply with a court order or subpoena.
- If you provide false information or attempt to pose as someone else, we may release personal information as part of any investigation into your actions.
5. HOW DO YOU CHANGE, UPDATE, OR DELETE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Changes to Personal Information: You may review and update your STAT Plus account information within the settings page under “My Account.” From there, you can update and correct your personal information, and manage your STAT Plus subscription options.
Opting Out: If you wish to discontinue receiving any specific email sent by our marketing partners or us, simply follow the unsubscribe options at the bottom of every email you receive. If you wish to opt out of receiving any direct mail or telephone solicitations from STAT, you may notify us by emailing email@example.com.
Data Retention: We will retain your information for as long as we provide you with services. We will also retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. WHAT ELSE SHOULD YOU KNOW ABOUT STAT’S PRIVACY PRACTICES?
Data Security. We use commercially reasonable physical, technical, and managerial controls to protect personal information from our readers. We cannot, however, guarantee that the information will remain permanently secure. It’s possible that technical problems could cause your information to be lost, or that the information could be stolen from our databases. We are not responsible for any such loss, theft, or other security breach.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection. In accordance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, STAT does not knowingly collect or store any personal information, even in aggregate, about children under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not provide us with your name, email address, phone number, or other personally identifying information.
California Privacy Rights. If you are a California resident, you have the right, under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, to request and obtain from us, once a year and free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we have disclosed personal information for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year. Please email requests for such information to email@example.com.
7. HOW CAN YOU FIND OUT ABOUT CHANGES TO THIS POLICY?
8. WHO SHOULD YOU CONTACT IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS?
General contact information. If you have any questions or comments regarding our information or security practices, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unsubscribe Requests. If you would like to contact us about unsubscribing from our email lists, please email email@example.com and provide all of your email addresses that could appear on our email lists, as well as the name of the newsletter from which you would like to unsubscribe.
DMD Healthcare Communications NetworkSM Privacy Statement
This digital service participates in the DMD Healthcare Communication NetworkSM (the “Network”), and as such has implemented various technologies for universal registration/login among all Network member websites. These technologies are managed by DMD Marketing Corp. (“DMD”), and may involve the collection, receipt, and sharing of information with DMD, its clients and other Network members. If you would like to understand how this digital service’s participation in the Network affects your privacy, please click here: