As the consequences of Covid-19 infection were felt around the world, companies moved swiftly to test many of the products in their pipelines against SARS CoV2 – the virus that causes Covid-19 – as well as the complex set of complications associated with the virus. This testing has led to a broad array of novel approaches to treating patients infected with the virus, from antibodies that could be given as prevention or treatment to products that help reduce the impact of the cytokine storm and treat Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS), severe inflammation, and secondary bacterial infections. Watch the above video to witness a panel of top scientists and industry leaders share information on the development of these vital treatment options and how partnerships between industry, governments, and NGOs will help speed the availability of new medicines that benefit patients.
- Phyllis Arthur, Vice President, Infectious Diseases and Diagnostics Policy, Biotechnology Innovation Organization
- Julie Kim, President, Plasma-Derived Therapeutics Business Unit, Takeda
- George Scangos, PhD, Chief Executive Officer and Director, Vir Biotechnology, Inc.
- Eddie Sullivan, President & CEO, SAB Biotherapeutics
- Gil Van Bokkelen, PhD, Founder, Chairman and CEO, Athersys, Inc.
- George Yancopoulos, MD, PhD, Co-Founder, President & Chief Scientific Officer, Regeneron