2022 STAT Breakthrough Science Summit will feature speakers from Bristol Myers Squibb, Pfizer, Merck Research Laboratories, and more, who will explore cutting-edge innovations in health, science, and medicine
BOSTON, MA – STAT, the leading media company reporting on health, science, and medicine, today announced its second annual STAT Breakthrough Science Summit. The in-person event will take place on March 31, 2022, in New York City, with programming beginning at 9:00 a.m. ET. Attendees will also have the option to access the event virtually via livestream. Interested media can email Amijah Townsend-Holmes at [email protected] to register for the event.
The Summit will feature important discussions with industry leaders, including FDA Commissioner Robert Califf, who will participate in a fireside chat with STAT senior writer Matthew Herper about his priorities for this new term, accelerated drug approvals, the opioid epidemic, and more. Attendees will also hear from Bristol Myers Squibb Chairman and CEO Giovanni Caforio, Pfizer Chief Scientific Officer of Bacterial Vaccines Annaliesa Anderson, and others on cutting-edge technologies and innovations that are changing the life sciences landscape.
“We can’t wait to get back to convening the biggest thinkers and leaders in medicine in person,” said Matthew Herper, senior writer, medicine, and editorial director of events at STAT. “It’s also great that we’re convening them for an event focused on the cutting edge in biotech, and that we’re doing so in New York City, which was hit so hard by Covid at the pandemic’s outset. Among other topics, we’ll discuss how drugs against the SARS-CoV-2 virus were developed so quickly.”
The 2022 Breakthrough Science Summit is presented by Genentech, a member of the Roche Group. “The face of scientific innovation and drug development is rapidly evolving, and with advances in computational methods augmenting novel discoveries in biology and chemistry, we now have the opportunity to bring multiplicative, rather than linear, benefits to patients,” said Lilli Petruzzelli, M.D., Ph.D., senior vice president, early clinical development, Genentech. “We’re excited to participate in this summit that will convene some of the best minds in our industry to tackle the biggest challenges and opportunities facing patients and the healthcare industry.”
Summit speakers include:
- Robert M. Califf, M.D., Commissioner, Food and Drug Administration
- Giovanni Caforio, M.D., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Bristol Myers Squibb
- Annaliesa Anderson, Ph.D., SVP, Chief Scientific Officer of Bacterial Vaccines, Pfizer
- Charlotte Allerton, SVP, Head of Medicine Design, Pfizer
- George Yancopoulos, M.D., Ph.D., President and Chief Scientific Officer, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals
- Dean Li, M.D., Ph.D., Executive Vice President and President, Merck Research Laboratories
- Laura Sepp-Lorenzino, Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer, Intellia Therapeutics
- John Evans, CEO, Beam Therapeutics
- Lawrence Klein, Ph.D., Chief Operating Officer, CRISPR Therapeutics
- Mark S. Shearman, Ph.D., Executive Vice President and Chief Scientific Officer, Editas Medicine
- Alex Oshmyansky, M.D., Ph.D., CEO and Founder, Mark Cuban Cost Plus Drug Company
- Insoo Hyun, Ph.D., Director of the Center for Life Sciences and Public Learning, Museum of Science, Boston; Director of Research Ethics, Harvard Medical School
- Robert Montgomery, M.D., D.Phil, FACS, H. Leon Pachter, M.D. Professor of Surgery; Chair, Department of Surgery at NYU Langone Health; Director, NYU Langone Transplant Institute
- Megan Sykes, M.D., Michael J. Friedlander Professor of Medicine and professor of microbiology & immunology and surgical sciences (in surgery), Columbia University
- Galya Blachman, Ph.D., Esq., General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, 5AM Ventures
- Orin Herskowitz, Executive Director, Columbia Technology Ventures
- Henry M. Colecraft Ph.D., John C. Dalton Professor of Physiology & Cellular Biophysics, professor of molecular pharmacology and therapeutics, Columbia University
- Sarah Reed, General Counsel, RA Capital Management, LP
- Craig Spencer, M.D., MPH, Director of Global Health in Emergency Medicine at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center
- Céline Gounder, MD, ScM, FIDSA, Senior Fellow & Editor-at-Large for Public Health at KFF’s Kaiser Health News
- Jonathan Jackson, Ph.D., Executive Director, Community Access, Recruitment, and Engagement (CARE) Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital; Assistant Professor of Neurology, Harvard Medical School
- John Dwyer, President, Global Alzheimer’s Platform Foundation
- Susan Shore, Ph.D., Merle Lawrence Collegiate Professor of Otolaryngology Research; Professor of Otolaryngology, Physiology and Biomedical Engineering; University of Michigan
- Jitka Amira Ismail Virag, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Physiology, The Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University
The Summit will explore the growing importance of the science of biology to the future of humanity. Featured experts and leaders in health, science, and medicine will discuss the latest weapons being leveled against the pandemic, rare disease, cancer, and other common diseases. Speakers will discuss how new technologies are helping patients and how we will pay for all of this innovation.
Founded in 2015, STAT is a national digital media brand that focuses on delivering fast, deep, and tough-minded journalism about the life sciences industries to over six million monthly site visitors and an additional 20 million readers on the Apple News app. STAT takes you inside academic labs, biotech boardrooms, and political backrooms, casting a critical eye on scientific discoveries, scrutinizing corporate strategies, and chronicling the roiling battles for talent, money, and market share. With an award-winning newsroom, STAT provides indispensable insights and exclusive stories on the technologies, personalities, power brokers, and political forces driving massive changes in the life sciences industry — and a revolution in human health.