2021 STAT Summit will feature NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci and Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla
BOSTON, MA – Today, STAT, the nation’s must-read health, science, and medicine publication, announced its 2021 STAT Summit. The event will be hybrid from November 16-18, 2021, with programming taking place from 1:00 – 4:30 p.m. ET each day. The Summit will focus on important discussions with industry leaders, including NIAID Director, Dr. Anthony Fauci, on the science behind Covid-19 and the Covid-19 vaccines. Interested media can register for the event here.
“As we continue to battle this drawn-out pandemic, medical science has never been so important to the world. We’re also in the midst of a wave of profound innovation, and are grappling with big ethical issues involving how much treatments cost, who gets them, and how we distribute them. STAT is honored to provide a forum for exploring and grappling with these realities,” said Matthew Herper, senior writer, medicine, and editorial director of events at STAT.
The Summit will feature experts and leaders in health, science, and medicine. Other key topics that will be discussed are disrupting maternal health for good, AI in healthcare, and the policies shaping R&D. Newly added speakers include:
- Amy P. Abernethy, M.D. Ph.D., president of Clinical Studies Platforms, Verily; former Principal Deputy Commissioner, FDA
- George M. Church, Ph.D., professor of genetics, Blavatnik Institute, Harvard Medical School; director of HMS NHGRI-Center of Excellence in Genomic Science; director of the Personal Genome Project; Broad Institute & Wyss Harvard Inst. of Biologically Inspired Engineering
- Scott Gottlieb, M.D., former FDA Commissioner, fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, and bestselling author of Uncontrolled Spread
- Folasade P. May, M.D., Ph.D., M.Phil., assistant professor of medicine, University of California Los Angeles
- Jessica L. Mega, M.D., MPH, co-founder and chief medical & scientific officer, Verily Life Sciences, Inc.
- Tara A. Schwetz, Ph.D., assistant director for biomedical science initiatives, Office of Science and Technology Policy, Executive Office of the President
- Darien Sutton, M.D., board certified Emergency Medicine physician
- Congresswoman Lauren Underwood, co-founder and co-chair, Black Maternal Health Caucus
- Dame Emma Walmsley, chief executive officer, GlaxoSmithKline
Previously confirmed speakers include:
- Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) at the U.S. National Institutes of Health
- Albert Bourla, DVM, Ph.D., chairman and chief executive officer, Pfizer
- Noubar Afeyan, Ph.D., founder and CEO, Flagship Pioneering; co-founder & chairman, Moderna
- Joia Crear-Perry, M.D., FACOG, founder & president, National Birth Equity Collaborative
- Linsey Marr, Ph.D., professor of civil and environmental engineering, Virginia Tech
- John Halamka, M.D., M.S., president, Mayo Clinic Platform
- Nigam Shah, MBBS, Ph.D., professor of medicine, Stanford University; associate CIO for data science, Stanford Health Care
- Maia Hightower, M.D., MPH, MBA, chief medical information officer, University of Utah Health
- Kevin Conroy, Chief executive officer, president, and chairman of the board, Exact Sciences
- Elisabeth Bik, Ph.D., science integrity consultant
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), which represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, is the presenting sponsor for this year’s event.
“Over the last year and a half, the health care system has faced one of its biggest challenges yet in fighting COVID-19,” said Debra DeShong, executive vice president of public affairs at PhRMA. “Thanks to America’s biopharmaceutical companies and an ecosystem that drives scientific discovery, we now have vaccines and treatments for this disease. We are proud to again sponsor the STAT Summit to discuss how we can continue to foster innovation, protect access to life-saving medicines and build a better health care system for patients.”
Founded in 2015, STAT is a national digital media brand that focuses on delivering fast, deep, and tough-minded journalism about the life sciences industries to over six million monthly site visitors and an additional 20 million readers on the Apple News app. STAT takes you inside academic labs, biotech boardrooms, and political backrooms, casting a critical eye on scientific discoveries, scrutinizing corporate strategies, and chronicling the roiling battles for talent, money, and market share. With an award-winning newsroom, STAT provides indispensable insights and exclusive stories on the technologies, personalities, power brokers, and political forces driving massive changes in the life sciences industry — and a revolution in human health.