ant to join our team? You’ve come to the right place.
Delivering fast, deep, and tough-minded journalism, STAT takes readers inside science labs and hospitals, biotech boardrooms and political backrooms. We publish breaking news, richly reported feature stories, investigative projects, and multimedia presentations.
Below are positions for which we are currently hiring:
Washington, D.C., Reporter
STAT is looking for an energetic, versatile, and hard-charging reporter for our Washington D.C. bureau. The ideal candidate will have experience as a beat reporter covering health policy or related agencies such as the FDA and NIH. Experience covering Congress is a plus.
STAT covers a range of issues debated in D.C., including drug pricing, the opioid crisis, biomedical research funding, and health care reform. We don’t cover every twist and turn on the Hill, but rather aim to illuminate how those debates affect lives and businesses across the country.
The job would be a mix of breaking news, enterprise, and analysis, with opportunities for travel to report stories out of D.C. Our Washington reporters are a small but close-knit team, reporting to an editor based in our Boston headquarters.
STAT is a startup, so flexibility, team spirit, and a willingness to innovate are essential. Also essential: Fidelity to bedrock journalistic values and a commitment to excellence.
Full Stack Web Developer
- We are an agile team, working closely with product and design to iterate on-site features that are being developed in two-week sprints
- There are daily standups, with code reviews and demos at the end of every sprint
- We stay current with modern front-end development best practices, updating our tools and workflow as needed
- We use Grunt and Jenkins for deployment and continuous integration
- We use Vagrant and Mac OS X for local development
Required Skills and Experience
- Solid background in PHP / MySQL, or full LAMP stack
- Proven expertise with WordPress theme or plugin development
- Experience with jQuery, Vue.js and other popular JS libraries and frameworks
- Experience with SASS or other CSS preprocessors
- Knowledge of version control systems such as Subversion and Git
- Strong ability to debug cross-browser issues
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Experience working with critical, large scale web applications
- Ability to multi-task and grow in a fast paced environment
- Experience with integrating payment APIs such as Stripe
- Knowledge of single sign on systems and social login APIs such as Auth0
- Expertise with UI/UX on large scale websites
- Experience with front-end performance optimization on high-traffic Websites
- Knowledge of email templating and notification workflows
- Familiarity with Adobe’s Omniture analytics suite
- Familiarity with Google’s DFP
- Familiarity with the agile methodology of software development
- Interest in data visualization tools
You may also apply via our posting on Indeed.
Spring, Summer, and Fall semesters
STAT is seeking a Reporting Intern to join its team of seasoned journalists and editors in daily newsgathering and writing.
Some of the tasks we’ll look for you to pitch in on:
- Writing news stories, study stories, newsletter briefs, and original reported work
- Doing research as part of a team with other reporters
- Pitching story ideas off of the news
- Production work like putting copy into CMS, finding photos, etc.
You should have prior journalism experience; familiarity with the worlds of science and medicine is desirable but not required.
This is a start-up publication, so flexibility, team spirit, and a willingness to innovate are essential. Also essential: Fidelity to bedrock journalistic values and a commitment to excellence.
The position will be full-time, paid, and based in our Boston headquarters.
The internship dates are flexible but are roughly May-August (Summer), Sept-Dec (Fall), and Jan-April (Spring). You should be available for a minimum of 10 weeks.
To apply, send 5 clips, cover letter, and resume to Lisa Raffensperger (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you’re presently a student, please also indicate in your cover letter if your school will be providing course credit or compensation for the internship.
Due dates are:
Summer: Dec. 1
Fall: July 15
Spring: Nov. 1