STAT, the leading health and science site, is looking for a seasoned editor who can help oversee our rapidly growing coverage of the life sciences and health care industries. This editor will be expected to plan and execute an expansion into new areas of business journalism and guide the reporters hired for these beats. The ideal candidates will have experience editing business stories, though editing experience is not essential if they have a strong reporting background. Familiarity with the biotech, pharma, and health care sectors is a plus. They should also have experience building reporting teams and thinking through digital strategy.
- Edit quick-turn news adroitly and help reporters conceive of and frame strong enterprise stories, including industry analyses, profiles, and hard-hitting investigations.
- Lead STAT’s ambitious expansion into new coverage areas, including recruitment of new reporters.
- Play a role in moderating and helping organize programming for STAT events around the country.
- Help identify and execute added-value reports on biotech and pharma.
- At least seven years experience in daily journalism, with a background in editing and/or reporting business stories.
- An ability to make sure our coverage is accessible and provocative as well as authoritative.
- A demonstrated ability to move beyond commodity news stories, press for fresh and provocative angles, and embrace multimedia and all forms of digital storytelling.
- A passion for collaboration with your reporters and editing colleagues and willingness to experiment to help bring STAT to even greater levels of success.
- Ideally, this editor would be based at our Boston HQ, but that is not a requirement.
- It would be an advantage to have editing and managerial experience, but we will consider experienced, authoritative reporters who have demonstrated collaborative skills.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
STAT prides itself on a collaborative spirit, flexibility, and a willingness to innovate, and we are looking for these skills in an editor. Also essential: Fidelity to bedrock journalistic values and a commitment to excellence.
How to Apply
Send resume, cover letter, and up to five clips that showcase your editing and/or reporting skills. Please append a brief description to each clip explaining your role in reporting or editing the story. Candidates can apply on the Boston Globe Media careers page.
EEO Statement: Boston Globe Media Partners LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship, or any other protected characteristic.
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism.