STAT is a cutting-edge media company that is committed to finding and telling compelling stories about health, medicine, and scientific discovery. Our award-winning reporters tell our stories from the places that matter to our readers — research labs, hospitals, executive suites, and political campaigns — and our site has become known for its design and creative use of multimedia.
We are looking for a development operations engineer with strong analytical skills and a proven ability to multitask in a fast-paced startup environment. Collaboration is key here at STAT. In this role, you’ll work closely with STAT’s engineering team to help maintain our development tools and environments. Our team prides itself on its tight-knit group of developers with a strong work ethic.
This position reports to STAT’s lead engineer, working closely with two other developers on our engineering team. Although we prefer teammates to work at our HQ, we are open to more flexible and remote work arrangements for exceptional candidates.
- A strong background in an IT-related field such as systems administration, engineering, or advanced technical support.
- A proven knack for working with a command line on Linux and Mac OS.
- Strong working knowledge of continuous integration systems such as Jenkins, Travis, etc.
- Previous experience working with at least some of the following build frameworks: Webpack, Grunt, Gulp, Npm scripts, etc.
- Used version control systems such as Git and Subversion.
- Ability to configure code linting and static analysis tools such as PHPCS, ESLint, etc.
- Experience working with server virtualization environments such as VirtualBox or VMWare.
Bonus points if you have experience working with any of the following:
- Experience hosting and maintaining WordPress or other PHP sites.
- Familiarity with test automation tools such as Nightwatch and Selenium.
- Ability to monitor, diagnose and respond appropriately to server outages.
- Work closely with engineering to help us keep our development environments and tools up to date.
- Be a main point of contact between our engineering team and our IT team by helping us route infrastructure related support requests and issues to the appropriate stakeholders.
- Stay current with modern web development best practices by helping us update our build frameworks and other workflows as needed.
- Use Linux on Vagrant/VirtualBox and Mac OS as your primary operating system.
Interested in this job? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship, or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism. STAT offers a competitive total compensation package and a generous array of benefits and employee perks.