STAT is a cutting-edge media company that is committed to finding and telling compelling stories about health, medicine, and scientific discovery. Our award-winning reporters tell our stories from the places that matter to our readers — research labs, hospitals, executive suites, and political campaigns — and our site has become known for its design and creative use of multimedia.
We are looking for a full time front end web developer with strong analytical skills and a proven ability to multitask in a fast-paced startup environment. Collaboration is key here at STAT. In this role, you’ll work closely with the STAT’s product, revenue, and editorial teams to craft new features for our website and build new products from scratch. Our team prides itself on its tight-knit group of developers with a strong work ethic.
This position reports to STAT’s lead engineer, working closely with two other developers on our engineering team. Although we prefer developers to work at our HQ, we are open to more flexible and remote work arrangements for exceptional candidates.
- Familiarity with WordPress theme development and its associated front end development workflow.
- Previous experience working with at least some of the following: jQuery, Vue.js, React or other popular JS libraries and frameworks, SASS or other CSS preprocessors.
- Used version control systems such as Git and Subversion.
- A keen understanding of UI/UX best-practices for e-commerce or media/publishing workflows.
Bonus points if you have experience working with any of the following:
- Performance optimization of high-traffic websites.
- Familiarity with the Agile methodology of software development.
- Email templating and notification workflows.
- Google Ad Manager.
- Work closely with product and design to iterate on-site features that are typically developed in two-week sprints.
- Participate in daily stand-ups, code reviews, and new production code pushes at the end of each development cycle.
- Stay current with modern front end development best practices, updating our tools and workflow as needed.
- Manage builds using Webpack.
- Use Linux on Vagrant and Mac OS X for local WordPress development.
Interested in this job? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship, or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.