STAT is a mission-driven online media publication focused on finding and reporting compelling and important stories about health, medicine, and scientific discovery. Our reporting covers public health, scientific discovery, and breakthroughs, the business of medicine from biotech startups to global pharmaceuticals, federal policy and politics related to drug approvals (FDA) and health care policy, and the emerging world of health tech. Our coverage is international in scope.
The STAT community
In terms of audience and community, we attract and engage an influential, interconnected audience of readers who work in the life sciences industry including biotech and pharma executives and researchers, academic researchers and professors, government officials including those from the NIH, FDA, and Capitol Hill, professional services including lawyers, consultants, and media professionals, and finally, investors (institutional, private equity, individual investors). Our readership is primarily (75%) national and spread across major life science/policy markets (CA, MA, DC, NY).
At five years old, STAT is a late-stage startup with a fast-paced environment. It has earned a reputation as the leading news organization reporting on health and medicine and is eager to continue growing its national and international reputation. We’ve built a large audience of readers and a highly engaged audience of paying subscribers and event attendees. We’re looking for a Head of Community to take our engagement to the next level.
STAT is looking for a leader who lives and breathes our mission and is able to build and nurture a highly engaged community around the health/life sciences industry. You will take our existing base of subscribers, newsletter readers and opinion contributors to create this community through platforms like Flipboard and LinkedIn, and by working closely with our events, marketing and editorial teams. You care deeply about the quality of the community, both in terms of the influence of the individual members, and the breadth of different voices represented and participating.
As the steward of the STAT community, you will understand how to leverage existing platforms and technology to engage and connect with an audience and are someone who has exceptional communication skills both online in person. It is a plus that you have a deep understanding of the issues in health, medicine, and life sciences.
You are a key member of the STAT team, working across our entire organization including editorial, marketing, events, and marketing. You will help define and execute on the following:
- Community strategy
- On STAT platforms (Comments, connection tools, community channels – ie Slack, etc)
- Off STAT platforms (Facebook groups, LinkedIn groups, science and medicine networks, industry associations, etc.)
- Events: Both STAT and industry events and conferences, live and virtual
- STAT tent pole programs including STAT Madness and STAT Wunderkinds to engage with the community of up and coming researchers and scientists
- Additional new tent pole programs that connect specific communities
- First Opinion columnists to engage our audience of several thousand industry leaders who have contributed to our First Opinion section
- Networking strategy for members (online and at events)
- Tech platforms and tools to help develop and nurture community
- Develop and monitor community guidelines
- Moderate user interactions within the community
- User outreach
- Find new users in our existing audience segments and engage them, answer their questions, understand their needs, and introduce them to STAT
- Work with marketing to help expand our audience segments (ie tech community, International biopharma, payer, provider, etc.) as we expand the footprint of STAT in the coming years.
- Engage with current community members
- Seed conversations
- Help make connections, with tools or direct between parties
- Solve queries and needs of community members
- Facilitate networking
- STAT Brand development
- Gather customer feedback for brand for ongoing product development
- Develop STAT community tools and platforms
- Contact databases
- Company databases
- Tools to connect and network
- Event-specific networking (online and offline events)
KPIs for Success
- Growth of new community members
- Growth of community visitors
- Engagement: Growing base of active community members
- Engagement: Growing base of active contributors, ie: number and frequency of replies and comments on discussions, participation in networking events, contributing to First Opinion, etc.
- Has a willingness to adapt, be audience focused with a curious mindset and committed to creating an inclusive work environment
STAT prides itself on its culture so collaborative spirit, flexibility, and willingness to innovate are essential. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media but operates independently from The Boston Globe.
EEO Statement: Boston Globe Media Partners LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship, or any other protected characteristic.
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism. STAT offers a competitive total compensation package and a generous array of benefits and employee perks.
Candidates can apply on the Boston Globe Media careers page with a resume and cover letter.