STAT, a national health and medicine publication, is looking for a savvy and enterprising health tech reporter based in San Francisco. The ideal candidate will have experience as a beat reporter covering health tech or technology more broadly, including companies such as Google, Apple, and Facebook that are trying to disrupt health care. This reporter would write for the main STAT site as well as STAT Plus, our premium subscription service.
- A beat reporter experienced in covering health tech or technology more broadly, with a track record of not only conceiving illuminating, provocative, and unexpected enterprise stories, but delivering quick-turn analyses and exclusives.
- Collaborative in nature. STAT is a start-up with a tight-knit, all-hands-on-deck culture and a strong team dynamic.
- Committed to excellence. Fidelity to bedrock journalistic values is a must.
- Willing and eager to sometimes cover other life sciences news beyond health tech.
- Bonus points if you are already based in the Bay Area with an established network of sources.
- Break news and tell compelling stories. Among other topics, coverage areas will include how algorithms are — and are not — changing the ways that new drugs get developed and doctors make decisions, and the implications for patients and health care costs.
- Play a role in helping organize and moderate STAT events related to health tech.
- Work closely with another San Francisco correspondent and our national technology reporter, in addition to our editorial team headquartered in Boston.
- Contribute to our STAT Health Tech and other newsletters.
The fine print
- STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
- While this position is based in the San Francisco area, occasional travel to and from Boston and
other cities is likely.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter (addressed to “STAT Editors”), and up to six clips to Pamela Nartiff to Pamela.Nartiff@statnews.com
Boston Globe Media Partners LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic.