STAT is an online media publication focused on finding and telling compelling stories about health, medicine, and scientific discovery. We attract and engage an influential audience of readers in the life sciences industry — from executives and scientists, to advertisers and professional services in the health care space. At five years old, STAT is a late-stage startup with a fast-paced environment, eager to continue growing is national and international reputation.
We’re looking for a Web Designer to join our growing Product team. This position will report to the Senior Product Designer and work closely with our engineering and marketing teams.
The ideal candidate is a user-centric designer who understands the importance of things like visual hierarchy, content-first, and minimalism when it comes to designing for the web. This person should be able to think strategically about an experience and how to best apply the STAT brand to create both a visually engaging and enjoyable experience for our users. In addition to helping in the creation of new site features and functionality, this person will also assist the marketing team with various promotional materials.
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, process-friendly, and has the ability to work within tight timelines on multiple projects simultaneously. This individual excels at providing both data-driven as well as highly creative ideas to a design project. A firm understanding of modern user-centric design methodologies is a must.
- Create designs for new site features according to the product team’s product roadmap
- Collaborate with the Senior Product Designer to strategize on new projects, receive feedback and iterate on designs
- Create wireframes as needed, depending on the project
- Work with the engineering team to review designs and provide direction as needed
- Work with the marketing team to create various promotional materials, i.e. ads, email graphics, promo materials
Minimum Skills and Experience
- 3+ years of design experience for websites and/or mobile applications
- Exceptional design skills and attention to detail
- Strong working knowledge of industry-standard design tools, i.e. Adobe Creative Cloud and UXPin (or similar)
- Ability to create wireframes as well as visual design comps
- A thorough understanding of UX best practices and trends in interaction design
- A basic understanding of basic CSS/HTML
- Can stay organized and meet deadlines on multiple projects at once
- Self-directed and capable of working in a fast-paced environment
Bonus points for
- Strong knowledge of WordPress
- Experience with scrum agile web development processes
- Interest in journalism and life science and health news
How to Apply
EEO Statement: Boston Globe Media Partners LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship, or any other protected characteristic.
Candidates can apply on the Boston Globe Media careers page with a resume and cover letter.